How is acceptance a gift of recovery for me?
In March, 2021, I gave a talk at an online conference. I tried to follow this outline.
What is acceptance? What is it not?
- Not “giving up”
- Not saying “this is ok”
- Recognizing reality
How do I use acceptance?
- Not “crying against the night”
- Opening possibilities for change.
- Doing the “next right thing”
- Reduce expectations & resentments
Early acceptance: Step 1: Powerless over my loved one’s alcoholism.
Recently: accepting my parents’ aging and illness.
Dementia: triggering because memory problems reminded me of the active drinking days.
Grief: losing the parents I had known for decades (all my life!)
Denial: it’s not that bad.
- Wanting them to move into assisted living.
- OK, now what?
- Learning to enjoy the time I had with the people they were becoming.
- Photo albums & videos
- Caring for them physically
How have you experienced the gift of acceptance? Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.