What do you want to let go of? What is preventing you from completely letting go?
Eric was inspired by a meditation he heard on the Insight Timer app, titled She Let Go.
A very rough outline of our conversation follows:
- What does it mean to let go?
- Stop doing things that I don’t have the power to carry out (control someone else, e.g.)
- What am I letting go of?
- Catastrophizing the future
- The past
- The need to be right, to win, to control
- Old behavior
- “Need” to react to triggers.
- Dependence on others
- What tools do I have to help me let go?
- Let go and let God.
- How important is it?
- Would you rather be right or be happy?
- Easy does it. (let go of anxiety)
- One day at a time. (let go of worry)
- Live and let live – let go of trying to live someone else’s life for them and live my own
- Neutral responses
- You could be right.
- Random thoughts
- I have no dog in this fight.
- Not my circus, not my monkeys!
- Let go or be dragged.
- “Turned a 12-cylinder type A Leo into a 6 cylinder hybrid. Learned to slow down.”
- “Drill down” to find something I can actually do something about. Example: I am afraid of my loved one’s drinking. Why? I am afraid that I will lose them. Why? I am afraid of being alone.
- When I let go of things I don’t like, I make room for new things (hopefully better things) to come in.
- Recognize “alcoholic” behaviors
- Provoke conflict
- Create anxiety
- When I let go of other people’s stuff, I can live my own life.
Readings and Links
Al-Anon books can be purchased online at the Al-Anon Store.
Patti asked about episodes on regaining trust. There are 3 about trust: How do you trust? – Episode 281, Trust and Trustworthy – Episode 228, and Trust – Episode 91. In addition, this search turns up other shows where trust was a topic in some respect: https://therecoveryshow.com/tag/trust/
Jillian asked about all the songs we've suggested. Many of them are in The Recovery Show playlists on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/therecoveryshow
An upcoming topic is being a single parent and business owner in recovery. Do you have a similar experience in your life that you would like to share? Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the Show
Donna wrote to recommend this Al-Anon talk. She said “I found it captivating, helpful, and hilarious.”