We say that alcoholism is a disease of relationships. What do we mean by this? How are our relationships damaged and how can we recover from that damage?
Spencer and Megan used these questions to guide our conversation.
- How has alcoholism affected your self-esteem? What were the results?
- Share your experience of forming and sustaining close relationships before and during time in the program.
- What about relationships we didn’t choose: family of origin/children.
- How have those relationships evolved?
- Relationships we did choose: dating, friends, jobs?
- How have you Isolated?
- How have you chosen healthier relationships using Al-Anon tools?
- What did/does becoming responsible for yourself look like?
Readings and Links
Becky told us about her son's blog/podcast Sober Steve Recovery.
Nancy asked about the “Letter from God” that she heard about in an earlier episode. This is available on the Al-Anon blog.
A couple of upcoming topics: being gentle with yourself; and using recovery tools as a teacher.
Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.