How do we find hope when it all seems hopeless?
Eric and Spencer have a conversation about hope, inspired by these discussion points and questions.
- Hope definition
- a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.
- want something to happen or be the case.
- Often when we say “hope” we really mean “expectation” — “I hope this will happen”
- How do we have hope without expectation?
- The possibility of change… the possibility of improvement.
- Spanish esperar vs ojalá — “waiting” or “god’s will”
- Is it a “wish” or a “hope”?
- Psychology Today: The Power of Hope
- hope is an emotion that springs from the heart, not the brain
- a sheer belief that you will overcome, you will persevere and you will endure anything and everything that comes your way.
- Hope is the belief that circumstances will get better. It's not a wish for things to get better — it's the actual belief, the knowledge that things will get better, no matter how big or small
- To have hope is to empower yourself in order to face the toughest of times and emerge a survivor.
- These things engender hope:
- The Difference Between Expectation and Hope
- Brainy Quotes
- Emily Dickinson. Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words and never stops it all.
- Aristotle – Hope is a waking dream
- Benjamin Franklin – He that lives on hope will die fasting. (Kind of the opposite of what we talked about today.)
- Extreme hopes are born from extreme misery Bertrand Russell
- Eric’s daughter wrote underneath it, Don't ignore your problems. Don't stare and glare. Create a great hope.
- Robert Green Ingersoll: Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.
Readings and Links
Eric opened with a reading from In All Our Affairs, Chapter 10, “Love and Forgiveness: Steps Ten Eleven and Twelve”.
We also read from Courage to Change, September 14, again from In All Our Affairs, page 28, and One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, April 3.
Links to the webpages we talked about are in the text above.
Near the end, Eric recommends this article: Deepak Chopra explains how mindfulness could help us survive the coronavirus crisis
An upcoming topic is boundaries. These days, I'm finding that setting and observing good boundaries is increasingly important to my peace of mind. Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
1 comment on “Hope means possibility – 328”
Hope – However, Other Possibilities Exist
Hope – Happy Our Program Exists
Topic suggestions please –
Recovery for professional people who “should know better” yet need the 12 steps (therapists, doctors etc) Experience on overcoming that
What is codependency in general and what is CODA?
Detaching with love with loved ones who have depression or other mental illness
How to share finances with an Ex who is a dry drunk (Children involved)
Song suggestion, maybe with the drama triangle (victim, rescuer, persecutor) or “A Merry-Go-Round named Denial”
Kacey Musgraves – Merry Go ‘Round
Thanks for the podcast Eric and Spencer. Really has helped me more than I can say. Thank you. Thank you!