Do you QTIP? Have you practiced the 3 A's? Spencer and Eric, with support from many listeners, talk about some of the acronyms (such as HALT or FEAR) and alliterations (3 C's, 4 M's) that help us to remember the important principles of the program. As Eric says, “these are like pocket change — they're easy to pick up and use.”
- FEAR – Face everything and recover
- PAUSE – Please assist until serenity enters
- FEAR – False evidence appearing real
- LOVE – Let others voluntarily evolve
- Al-anon “gifts” in From Survival to Recovery
- Force vs Power, episode 249
- Eric: I can’t “love my alcoholic sober” or “hug my addict straight”
- “Let go and let God”
- JADE – (don’t) Justify, argue, defend, or explain
- Would you rather be right or happy? (episode 276)
- Courage to Change, June 6
- WAIT – Why am I talking (thinking)
- Neutral responses (scroll to the bottom of episode 249)
- NUTS – Not Using The Steps (Slogans)
- TRUST – try really using step three!
- THINK is it..?: Thoughtful. Honest. Intelligent. Necessary. Kind.
- One Day at a Time in Al-Anon pg. 20
- Slogans Part 1 (episode 131)
- The Step 10 discussion in Paths to Recovery
- HOPE: Happy. Our. Program. Exists.
- One Day At a Time in Al-Anon, pg.94
- Hope, episode 65
- Do you believe? (episode 270)
- DETACH: Don’t. Even. Think. About. Changing. Him/Her.
- One Day At a Time in Al-Anon, pg.29
- Consequences (episode 245)
- Enabling or empowering (episode 261)
- Detachment (episodes 12, 188)
- HOW: Honest. Open. Willing.
- Willingness – Episode 216
- STEPS: Solutions. To. Every. Problem.
- One Day At a Time in Al-Anon, pg.297
- In All Our Affairs (Episode 201)
- QTIP: Quit. Taking. It. Personally.
- One Day At a Time in Al-Anon, pg.55
- PISO: Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
- Eric would write this on his hand.
- GOD: Good Orderly Direction
- UTT: Use the tools
- ODAT: One Day at a time
- ANGER = A Negative Grudge Endangers Recovery
- ASK = Ask Seek Knock
- CHANGE = Choosing Honesty Allows New Growth Everyday
- COOL = Creative Opportunities Offer Love
- EGO = Easing God Out
- FAITH = Finding Answers In The Heart
- FEAR = Forgetting Everything Is Alright
- FEAR = Future Events Aren’t Real
- FROG = Fully Relying On God
- GIFTS = Getting It From The Steps
- HOPE = Helping Ourselves Purge Emptiness
- HOW = Honest, Open, Willing
- MYOB = Mind Your Own Business
- PUSH = Pray Until Something Happens
- 3 A’s – Awareness, Acceptance, Action
- 3 A’s, Awareness, Acceptance, Action (episode 43)
- Choices (episode 164)
- 3 P’s – Perfection, Procrastination, Paralysis
- 4 M’s – Manipulation, Managing, Mothering, and Martyrdom
- 3 C’s – Didn’t cause it, can’t cure it, can’t control it. (But I can contribute to the problem.)
- 6 P’s: perspective, pain, prayer, patience, process and payoff.
- From a Step 6 reading in Paths to Recovery
- Step 6 (episode 28)
- Perspective (episode 258)
- 3 C's – Have I Criticised, Have I Condemned, Have I Complained?
- 3 G's – Get off his back, Get out of his way and Get on with your life
- 4 P's Why we don't forgive?..: Protection, Power, Pride, Punishment
- 3 S's – Selfish, Self-seeking, Self-centred
Readings and Links
We read from Courage to Change, March 26
Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
The Beatles: Let It Be
Counting Crows: Big Yellow Taxi
Ian Brown: F.E.A.R
3 comments on “Acronyms and Alliterations – Episode 284”
I loved this episode! I now keep saying Pause whenever my teenager walks in the room. My ex brought me into the rooms but I am currently dealing with my son who is 17 and self medicating with Marijuana. I try to Pause All (Conversation) Until Serenity Enters. Thank You!
Just found this podcast and really love it.
Liked the episode on slogans. I always liked sayings and slogans so I was really drawn to that when I found al anon. Pause is great.
A different one I’ve heard for Fear is
False evidence appearing real.
A disease of perception for sure.
Thank you for doing this and sharing your recovery.
So thankful for this helpful tools of acronyms and alliterations that I can carry with me.
This was my first time listening and so grateful that I found it. Can’t wait to hear the other episodes and appreciate all your links and references.