How is Al-Anon funded? Why don’t we take outside contributions? What if we all lived our lives that way? Tradition 7 states “Every group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.”
Spencer and Ruth discuss these questions and others as we explore our understanding of Tradition 7.
- The statement of this tradition is pretty clear. Why do you think we have this tradition?
- How does Tradition 7 relate to Tradition 6, which says, in part, “Our Family Groups ought never endorse, finance or lend our name to any outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property and prestige divert us from our primary spiritual aim.”
- Are there other ways, besides financial, in which our groups are self-supporting?
- How can I be of service to my meeting(s)? How have I been of service?
- How do I use this tradition in my personal life?
- How am I self supporting
- How have I felt when I was dependent on others?
- Have I expected that “the world” owed me? In what ways? How did I feel? How did I act?
- How has my self-worth depended on being needed by others?
- Do I take responsibility for my feelings and my actions? Do I blame others for how I feel?
- How do I contribute to my own well-being?
- How can I be fully self-supporting?
Our topic for next week is What does it mean to work the steps?. Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music for the show
Pink Floyd – Money
Dream Theater – I Walk Beside You
The music selections that I used in the podcast, if you'd like to hear them in their entirety are these:
[bandcamp track=510377286 bgcol=FFFFFF linkcol=4285BB size=venti] (intro)
[bandcamp track=3734496806 bgcol=FFFFFF linkcol=4285BB size=venti] (break)
[bandcamp track=320579438 bgcol=FFFFFF linkcol=4285BB size=venti] (closing)
As promised, here is a link to the new German Al-Anon website: http://www.al-anon.de. The traditions in German are now in the “members only” area of the site: Click on the Mitglieder link at the bottom right corner. Type your meeting location into the box labeled “Meeting-Ort” and click the button to enter. The traditions are in the “Werkzeug” section at http://www.al-anon.de/werkzeug/12-traditionen.
1 comment on “Tradition 7 – Episode 79”
I just discovered this site and really like what you’re doing! I found you as I was doing research to lead the topic meeting on Saturday (Al Anon) which is Tradition 7. I found your podcast and am using some of the ideas to help me ponder how I want to approach the topic for Saturday. Thank you so much!
Also, I’m an author/editor/publisher of a very small press and have been working for about a year on a blog project that will hopefully become a book next year that will share my experiences and those of others I find through the communities of interest who intersect with the blog. If you’re interested to take a look I’d be really grateful to know what you think of it. It’s called Pink Notebook, Essays on Asking & Receiving.
All the best, and keep on doing what you’re doing. It works!!!
Grateful member of Al Anon,