Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:30:32 — 49.1MB)
Subscribe for free: More Options
We watched the movie Days of Wine and Roses with our friends Mark and Anna from the Recovered podcast. And then we sat down around a table and talked about it.
If you have not seen the movie, you may want to read the plot summaries at IMDB. You can also rent it from Amazon Instant Video
or iTunes Movies.
In our discussion, we addressed most of these questions:
- How do you feel this movie related to your experience?
- In what ways did you feel that this movie was true to life? In what ways did it feel false or contrived?
- Was the focus of the movie on the alcoholic/addict experience or codependent experience?
- What myths about alcoholism in the 1960s does the movie try to dispel?
- What aspects of alcoholism that is portrayed in the film are still true today?
- What are your feelings about the way sponsorship was portrayed?
- Who needed alanon?
- What messages did you get from this movie about codependecy? Did it equate codependency with love? Did it portray codependency as something that caused unhappiness?
- Did the movie show the alcoholic/addict as the cause for the unhappiness of the codependent? How did you feel about that?
- What about the codependent experience in the movie would you have liked to greater detail on and why?
- Who are the codependents and who are the alcoholics?
- Is the movie hopeful?
Our topic for next week is Step 10, which states “Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.” We have some thought questions for your consideration: Do you struggle to admit that you are “wrong” in the moment? Have you found an effective way to take a daily inventory? How do you feel about admitting your wrongs? What exactly does this step mean by “promptly”? Do you feel better when you make a 10th step amends? Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
Lori McKenna – Drinkin' Problem
Fiona Apple – Werewolf
Norah Jones – If the Law Don't Want You
And an extra, Frank Sinatra singing Days of Wine and Roses