Today, we’re doing another roundtable episode with siblings of alcoholics and addicts. Jane and Rick share their experience growing up with alcoholic brothers. We ask them questions such as the following:
- If your sibling started drinking in the home when you were a minor, how did that affect your relationship with them growing up?
- Did you feel you had to hide their drinking to keep them from getting in trouble with your parents?
- Did you feel you couldn’t bring friends home?
- Did you feel unable to socially engage with them?
- Did you feel that you were recruited by your parents to help “fix” your sibling’s drinking?
- What sorts of things did you try to manage growing up?
- Parents’ happiness?
- Sibling’s drinking?
- Protecting your family?
- Did you feel that there was additional attention and pressure upon you as the non-addicted sibling to be “good”? Or did you feel that you didn't get enough attention because the family was focused on your addicted sibling?
- How did you live your own life growing up as opposed to trying to manage your sibling and avoid taking their inventory? How do you do this today in recovery?
- How did you talk about difficult topics? Has this changed?
- How did you define love during this time in your life? How has this definition changed over time?
- Have you noticed your childhood relationship with your sibling mirrored in other relationships, pre- or post-involvement in recovery?
Our topic for next week is self care. Do you find yourself often running low on sleep? Do you miss meals because you’re too busy? Do you ever neglect your own basic needs in order to take care of someone else? Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
We plan to record the episode live starting at 10 AM EDT (1400 GMT) on Saturday August 31. Join us by clicking on the listen live link at the right.
Music from the show
Bruce Springsteen – Highway Patrolman
Imagine Dragons – Demons