What did you think when you first heard the statement that alcoholism is a disease? Did is seem like a cop-out? Did you feel that your loved one just needed to drink normally!? Today, Spencer explores his personal journey of coming to an understanding of this cunning, baffling, and powerful thing called alcoholism.
Here's a rough outline of the journey in bullet points:
- Alcoholism? Is that a thing?
- Alcoholic? Certainly not!
- The poster.
- Early explanations
- Brain chemistry
- Recovery and relapse
- Open talks
- Eye opening
- Coming to see the arc of the story — one story in many lives
- Finding hope
- Disease concept
- Brain chemistry?
- A disease that denies itself
- Chronic, Progressive, Fatal unless arrested
- No known “cure” but can be treated
- Like cancer in remission
- Lifetime treatment (like diabetes)
Upcoming topics include “Caretaking or healthy support?”, “Triggers”, and Tradition 9 (Our groups, as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.) Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Continue reading “Alcoholism – a Personal Journey – Episode 85”