I got a letter from a listener who asked some questions. It made me think that maybe it's time (again?) to talk about what The Recovery Show is, and what it isn't.
- Why did we create The Recovery Show?
- We had been sharing Al-Anon ESH on Recovered podcast.
- We wanted to bring Al-Anon message “full time”.
- What is our intent?
- Share our and others’ experiences in recovery.
- Illustrate how Al-Anon recovery works in *our* lives.
- Explore recovery concepts.
- Explain the Al-Anon program.
- Some questions and observations from the email:
- “do you ever worry that your seemingly more “relaxed” discussions might lead to confusion among the listeners and to inadvertent undermining of normal operations of meetings?”
- “Service and “The Rules” is not a ratings winner, but maybe there is some way to explore it that gives it the proper context and proportion.”
- “when I encountered The Recovery Show I was struck by the ways it more closely tracked the familiar 12-Step meeting format, but also the ways in which it appeared to depart from that model.”
- “my program-monitor-radar-alarm went off, particularly about what I perceived as cross-talk.”
- “The Recovery Show is decidedly NOT holding itself out as an Al-Anon Family Group”
- What we do here is very much like the conversations we might have when we go out for coffee after a meeting, or when meeting with a sponsor, or (in my case) in at least one of the AWOL groups I have been a part of.
- I have attended a few “cross talk” meetings in my time in the program, and what we do here is similar to the best of those.
Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Continue reading “What do we do here? – Episode 278”