Eric suggested this topic, and we were loosely guided in our conversation by this outline.
- Definition of freedom? Many definitions…
- Do I believe that freedom only comes from being in control of my life?
- What does it mean to me (now) that “freedom can only come from acceptance”?
- The blog “Through an Al-Anon Filter” says
If I want peace, I must give my program away to others. If I want growth, I must give up my belief in my own “rightness.” If I want serenity, I must give up self-will, and be open to my Higher Power. If I want freedom, I must give up my need to control.
If I want real, lasting change, I must give up my safe misery.
- (How) do I understand this in my life?
- Concept Three
The Right of Decision makes effective leadership possible.
- We have the right to decide, to make choices. This is a powerful idea and one that many of us may have lost sight of growing up in families that were dysfunctional.
- “When I began studying Concept Three, I found the answer. It wasn’t alcoholism that bothered me. It was someone taking away my right of decision.” Reaching for Personal Freedom p. 132
- What freedom(s) have I found in recovery?
- Free to live my life. I don’t have to follow the whims and wishes of my loved one (I can choose to do so, but I don’t have to.)
- Free to take care of myself (instead of my loved one).
- Free to grow.
- Free to laugh.
- Free to make choices.
- Free to know myself.
- Free to let go of the past (but not wish to shut the door on it).
- Free to find gratitude in the little (and the big) things, even when some part of my life sucks.
- I am becoming Free FROM;
- Feeling trapped
- Dependence (on others)
- Expectations (of others)
- I am become FREE TO;
- Live and Let Live
- Let It Go
- Surrender without giving up
- Say No (and feel good about it)
- Detach, with love
- Set boundaries
- Allow consequences to happen
- Love, not need
- Walk away
- Feel, without fear
- Say what I mean
- Go slow
- Enjoy solitude
- Be happy
- Have choices
- Take risks
- To be wrong
- Laugh more (Promise 12)
- Who knew!? (as my sponsor said yesterday when I read him my list… 😊)
- We want to be “happy, joyous, and free”
Upcoming topics include is talking to young children about recovery. Also parenting in all its aspects. And, violence by the “Al-Anon” in a relationship. Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Continue reading “Freedom – Episode 241”