Do you find yourself looking for the “experts” in your meetings? Do you sometimes feel like you have nothing to offer? How do we help one another in Al-Anon? Today, we’re going to talk about Tradition 8, which states “Al-Anon Twelfth Step work should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.”
Spencer and Ruth talk about Tradition 8, guided by these thought questions.
- How does the reading match with my experience in Al-Anon?
- Why do we have this tradition?
- What are the advantages of a “fellowship of equals”?
- What are the disadvantages?
- Do I look to certain members as “experts”?
- How can this be a problem for me?
- How can this be a problem for them?
- Do I sometimes feel reluctant to share because I’m not an “expert”?
- Am I sometimes reluctant to share my problems because I feel I have to be “perfect” in my program?
- How can I share with others without trying to fix them?
- Am I sometimes “Mr or Ms Alanon”?
- How/when am I judgemental?
- How/when do I take others’ inventories?
- What about paid employees (“special workers”)?
- Final thoughts?
Our topic for next week is “The 4 M's: Managing, Manipulation, Mothering, and Martyrdom”. Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Continue reading “Tradition 8 – Episode 83”