I just found a wonderful essay titled “Sanity and Sobriety in the Holiday Season.” I loved the questions he suggests I ask myself:
- Am I feeling isolated, lonely, sad, or angry?
- Am I keeping any secrets or telling any lies?
- Do I have idealized (and likely unrealistic) expectations for family and holiday gatherings?
- Am I feeling impulsive or obsessive?
Read the essay for more. (And thanks to my email feed from intherooms.com for the link.)
You have probably noticed that The Recovery Show looks different. I'm not completely happy with the new look, but it is more usable on a smartphone than it used to be, and that makes Google happy. The site had been “down ranked” by Google because it was not “mobile accessible.”
The current look is a compromise. I am still looking for a WordPress theme that is mobile ready and has all the features that I want. Because this theme pushes the “sidebar” info to the bottom on a phone, I have added a Contact Us page into the menu at the top of the screen. Click or tap on it to find the phone number, email address, etc.
I had technical difficulties this week, and need to re-record part of the podcast. I'll be out of town for a couple of days, and can't fix it until I get back. Otherwise, everything is fine. Talk to you soon.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 3:15 — 1.4MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | | More
The topic of our next episode, number 79, is What does it mean to “work” the steps? Please share your experience, strength, and hope about this question by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling our voice mail number 734-707-8795, or by using the voicemail button at the right.
Here are some thought questions that you can use as prompts for your sharing:
- When you first heard the phrase “work the steps”, what did you think it meant?
- Have you worked the steps once? More than once?
- If more than once, how did your understanding of “working the steps” change?
- How did you work the steps? From a book? With a sponsor? As part of a group?
- Some steps have clear actions in them (“took an inventory”, “made a list”), and some do not (“came to believe”, “became entirely ready”).
- Would you say that some steps are “action steps” and some are not?
- Or, do you believe that all the steps have actions in them?
- If you are a sponsor, how do you guide your sponsees in working the steps?
We will be recording Episode 76 – Loss, live on Sunday, June 8 starting at 2PM EDT (which is 18 GMT). Please join us using this “listen live” link (also in the right sidebar). If you are on an iPhone, iPad or iPod, you will need to install the Mixlr app, then search in it for “The Recovery Show.” Once you have found us, you can click or tap on “Follow” so you don't have to search again (you will need to create a Mixlr account to follow us). If you want, you can have Mixlr send you notifications when we go online, after you follow us.