As we are moving into a time of social distancing, where many of our meeting places are closing down, but also when we may be feeling anxious, confused, and scared, we still need meetings.
My Saturday morning meeting met this morning online and by phone using the BlueJeans service. This service has both video and phone capability. This morning, I started out on video, but when it became clear that the internet in my parents' house was not sufficient for video, it was quite easy to switch to phone and stay in the call.
That got me thinking that I should put together a list of online resources for meetings. Here are the ones that I know about. Please comment below or send email to email@example.com if you have others.
See the comments below for some other links!
Online meeting lists
- Al-Anon electronic and phone meetings
- InTheRooms social networking site online Al-Anon meetings (choose “Others” in the drop down menu just below the heading “LIVE VIDEO MEETINGS CALENDAR”.
- Another listener reminded me of phonemeetings.org, which lists many existing phone meetings.
- A listener sent a link to a flyer for Al-Anon Without Borders, a series of Zoom speaker meetings hosted by members around the US on Saturday and Sunday March 28, 29 and April 4,5. This event is now over. Recordings of the speakers are available for download. Tom W (featured in episode 250 of The Recovery Show) spoke on Step 3, and Mary Pearl T (several episodes) also spoke. During the time of COVID, downloads are free, and there is an opportunity to make donations to support Al-Anon Without Borders.
- Online Al-Anon Meetings in the Los Angeles area.
- Some online recovery meetings in the Ann Arbor, MI area .
- Colorado meetings: www.al-anon-co.org Hover over members and then COVID 19 Pandemic and then click on Non Face to Face (Electronic Meetings) and then a document pops up to click on which lists electronic meetings for everyday of the week.
- Northern California has several zoom meetings going on. If you visit www.scv-afg.org they are listed.
- Here is a list of virtual meetings in the San Francisco Bay area, mostly the East Bay, with additional links to meetings in San Francisco, Marin, Los Angeles, and Al-Anon World Service.
- There is an online ACA workshop on May 8.
- A member in Liverpool writes: we have online Al Anon meetings everyday over zoom. Most of our meetings are around 6-7pm in the evening UK time, but we also have some lunch meetings. If anyone would like the meeting details please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A UK ACoA group (Adult Children of Alcoholics) also has zoom meetings everyday at 7 pm UK time, and you can find out their meeting details by emailing email@example.com
Resources for creating online meetings
- BlueJeans is an online conferencing service. It offers a 14-day free trial and is $12.49/month after that, if you pay monthly or $9.99/month if you pay for a whole year. It supports up to 50 participants per call. You can join by video from the app or by phone.
- Zoom is an online conferencing system. It has a free plan that allows up to 100 participants in a call but is limited to 40 minutes per call. It supports both video in the app and phone call-in. Recently, there's been a lot of attention given to the problem of “zoom bombing”. Here are some tips to reduce the likelihood of this happening to your meeting.
- Discord is an online chat application used by gamers and others. It has recently expanded its GoLive video chat to support up to 50 people at a time. I have not used Discord.
- A listener suggested www.freeconferencecall.com, writing “This is perfectly free and unlimited and crazy easy to use.”
During this time of crisis, I wish you serenity and health. Stay home, wash your hands a lot, get to meetings (online), and be well.