Let’s start with a definition: (dictionary.com)
1. the state or quality of being serene, calm, or tranquil; sereneness.
2. A title of honor, respect, or reverence, used in speaking of or to a certain member of royalty (usually preceded by his, your, etc).
1. Composure, calm, peacefulness, peace.
- How did you conceive of serenity before recovery?
- Did you think your whole life had to be “serene” in order for you to have personal serenity?
- How did you act in ways that pushed serenity out of my life?
- When you heard the Al-Anon suggested welcome, did these words make sense to you?
- Did they seem unattainable?
- Did they give you hope?
“We urge you to try our program. It has helped many of us find solutions that lead to serenity. So much depends on our own attitudes, and as we learn to place our problem in its true perspective, we find it loses its power to dominate our thoughts and our lives.”
- Do you recall experiencing serenity, perhaps briefly, as you started to work the program?
- What happened?
- What did it feel like?
- How did you recognize it?
- Reading: Hope for Today, May 20.
“The serenity I am offered in Al-Anon is not an escape from life. Rather it is the power to find peacefulness within life.”
“Al-Anon does not promise me freedom from pain, sorrow, or difficult situations. It does, however, give me … the necessary skills for maintaining peace of mind, even when life seems most unbearable.”
- What tools have you found for maintaining or restoring your serenity?
- Trust in a Higher Power. Let go and let God.
- Just for today.
- One day at a time.
- Talk to a program friend.
- “Exercising” spiritual “muscles” by working the steps, going to meetings, reading the literature, etc.
- Do you think serenity is a state of being, or an attitude? Or a little of both?
- What would you say to a newcomer who is living a life full of “agitation” with little or no serenity?
Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
The Chainsmokers: Don't Let Me Down (ft. Daya)
Florence and the Machine: Shake it Out
Coldplay: Adventure of a Lifetime