Spencer and Mara talk about family, guided by these questions.
- Describe, generally, what kind of family you grew up in.
- Was there (active) alcoholism or addiction?
- Was there codepenency?
- What did you learn in your family of origin?
- About relating to other people?
- About keeping secrets?
- About love?
- How did these affect your life before recovery?
- Your relationships?
- Your ability to take life on life’s terms?
- Your desire/need to control others and your environment?
- If you are a parent, what patterns from your parents did you bring into your new family?
- Alcoholism is described in our literature as a “family illness”. In what ways do you now understand this description?
- How has alcoholism or addiction affected you and your family (current or family of origin)? How has your perception of this changed in recovery?
- How has recovery helped you to develop / discover new ways of being in family?
- How has recovery helped you to be with your family of origin?
- How do you use the principles of the program (including traditions and concepts) in your family or other relationships today?
Upcoming topics include “We”, and the “gifts of Al-Anon.” Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
Pink: Family Portrait
Pearl Jam: My Father’s Son