Do you have a voice inside you that criticizes everything you do? Can you find compassion for yourself when your internal critic is harsher than what others say about you? Spencer and Brooke talk about criticism and self-compassion.
Some of the questions we considered were these. How might you answer these questions?
- Do I have an internal critic? (Don’t we all?)
- How loud is it?
- How harsh is it?
- How do I react to criticism from others?
- How does my internal critic react to criticism from others?
- How does my internal critic react to praise from others?
- Do I find it easier to have compassion for others than for myself?
- How do I struggle to find compassion for myself?
- How do I struggle to see myself as worthy?
- How can seeing myself as worthy, and having compassion for my failings, help me to deal with criticism from others?
- What program tools can I use to make it easier to find self-compassion and self-worth?
- Steps 2 & 3 remind me that I have a higher power that loves me.
- Steps 4 and 5 encourage me to look at myself honestly and fearlessly. By sharing my faults with my Higher Power and another person, I find that I am not defined by my “defects”
- Steps 6, 7, 8, and 9 show me that there is a way to change and to let go of my self-criticism for past actions.
- Step 10 helps me to not have new things to kick myself about.
- Step 11 encourages me to connect more closely to my Higher Power. Meditation can help me to live in the moment instead of the past.
- What slogans help me?
- How does listening (and sharing) in meetings, or with a sponsor or program friend help?
- What might I say to a newcomer who is strugging with self-criticism?
Upcoming topics include caretaking, parenting, and Concept 3, which says “The right of decision makes effective leadership possible.” What do you think this means for you? Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
Blue October: Razorblade
Liz Phair: Extraordinary
Mary J. Blige: Take me as I am
Susanne wrote in about episode 63: Tradition 3.
Serena shared some personal experience brought to mind by episode 93: Not God.