Has your loved one relapsed? Did you expect it? How did you react? Today, Spencer and Jessyca talk about Relapse.
We structured our discussion around these points and questions:
- The disease of alcoholism and addiction is chronic, progressive, and eventually fatal.
- Relapse does not have to be part of the disease, but it is frequently part of the process.
- As friends and family members, many of us have experienced the relapse of a loved one from a period of sobriety, sometimes short, sometimes long and full of recovery.
- How did and how do we respond and react when a loved one relapses?
- What is our understanding of relapse? It is often a process in which picking up the drink or drug is the last stage.
- How can we support ourselves and our loved ones in relapse?
- And, sometimes, we relapse back to our old behavior. What is an “Al-Anon relapse”?
- Have you had one? What was it like, and how did you get out of it?
See the “extras” for the original episode.