Spencer talks about ways in which he has tried to “play God” in the past, about how those increased the unmanageability of his life, and about how the realization that he is not God has simplified his life and provided serenity. He worked from the outline below, illustrating the points with stories from his life.
- What do I mean when I say I am not God?
- I can’t control or change other people
- Things outside my “hula hoop” are not my responsibility
- I don’t know what is best for others
- I don’t always know what is best for me
- Why would I think I am?
- How did my actions suggest I thought so?
- When do i struggle with wanting to play God?
- How is it a relief when I remember that I am nobody's higher power?
Upcoming topics include Tradition 11 and “Is it caretaking or healthy support?” Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
Neil Young – Change Your Mind
Adele – Make You Feel My Love
Terence Trent D'Arby – Holding on to You
The music I played in the pauses is Early Bird by Hania Yiska. You can find more of his work, including our opening music, Teleportationism, at Bandcamp.
Some episodes about living with addiction
In response to a listener email, we compiled a list of episodes that have guests who share their experience, strength, and hope about living with active addiction or alcoholism.
Episode 70: Living with alcoholism or addiction
Episode 65: Hope
Episode 54: Family of our Dreams
Episode 52: My Story
Episode 78: Stay or Go?
Episodes 58 and 59: Relapse and Michelle's story
Episode 22: Parents roundtable