Spencer and guest host Harriet discuss this topic, suggested by Harriet, following this outline and questions.
- What is isolation?
- Closing myself off from the outside world
- Looking outward to fix an inward problem
- Rejecting reality
- What did isolation look like a year ago, now, etc.
- Can take many forms, and could look like:
- Pretending (hiding)
- Self criticism (finding evidence that fits my conjecture that I’m broken and alone)
- feeding an obsession
- Compulsive show watching (often a familiar show I’ve already watched, maybe b/c I need to have some certainty)
- Compulsive podcast listening (not to broaden my perspective but to drown out my thoughts or emotions)
- Avoiding connection with friends or Al-anon members (Anything that takes me further into my closed system)
- Being compulsively busy
- Why do I isolate?
- Shame (I hide my worst parts)
- Disconnect between mind body and spirit. I look outside myself to find the answer
- I’m having a feeling I’d rather not be having and am afraid to look at myself
- I believe my own conjecture
- What helps?
- Accepting where I am and my current reality
- Trying one thing different to break my cycle
- I need to make peace within myself before I can genuinely connect with others. I think I need to share w others, but until I’ve reconciled within myself, I can be isolating right in the middle of a conversation
- Writing— before I’m too far gone
- Step 5 — a member or friend who I can share with (to acknowledge where I am)
- A meeting
- Meditation – breathing exercise
- connection with a pet
- Brene Brown’s TED talks
- This podcast- suffering is optional, 3 A’s, self-care
- Inventory—why am I isolating?
- Self-care and self compassion
Our topic for next week is gratitude. Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
Pink Floyd – Comfortably Numb
Mary Lambert – Secrets
Crowded House – Isolation
Ruth sent a link to a meditation app.
And Brian shared this brilliant video about “giving presence this holiday season“.