Has someone brought their different political or social opinions into a meeting? How did that feel for you? Or even outside of meetings, can an opinion of another person disturb you? Today, we talk about Tradition 10, which says “The Al-Anon Family Groups have no opinion on outside issues; hence our name ought never be drawn into public controversy.”
Ruth and Spencer talk about Tradition 10, about how they see it work in their meetings, and how they can use it in their personal lives. We had some questions to guide our conversation.
Can you recall a situation in a meeting were this happened, where someone brought outside issues into the meeting?
How did you, how did the group dealt with it?
Is there a Al Anon position on outside topics?
How do you feel when someone isn’t sharing your opinion on something?
Why do we have this tradition?
How can you apply tradition 10 to your personal life
Questions from Reaching for Personal Freedom workbook:
- How does tradition 10 remind me to keep the focus on myself instead of others?
- How do I connect tradition 10 to detachment?
- How can tradition 10 help me to respond in a loving way when others say insulting or hurtful things to me?
- How can tradition 10 help me to not just keep my opinions to myself, but to let them go from my mind?
- When has practicing the spiritual principle of Tradition 10 helped me to love family members and friends without getting involved in their personal situation and decisions?
- In what ways can Tradition 10 help me when my family members are going through difficult or sad situations?
Our topic for next week is trust. How do you know you can trust someone? When do you have trouble trusting? Do you have a Higher Power you can trust? Can you trust yourself? Can others trust you? Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
Asaf Avidan – Different Pulses
No Doubt – Different People
Prince – Controversy
This Spotify play list has all the songs that were considered for this episode.