Do you wonder how you’re going to make it through another day with the drinking and chaos? Have you had thoughts of leaving or worse? Today we have 4 stories of living with active alcoholism or addiction.
We hear personal stories from Julie, Jen, Maria, and Spencer. Each of us was given the following questions as a prompt, and although our stories are different, they are also the same.
- Tell me a little bit about your situation:
- What relationship do you have with the active alcoholic or addict?
- Is he or she living in your home?
- How long have you been living with active alcoholism?
- Are you still living with the alcoholic or have you separated?
- How long have you been attending AlAnon meetings?
- How long have you been working the AlAnon program, if that's different from the answer to the previous question?
- How are you using the tools of the AlAnon program in your situation?
- Which slogans do you find helpful?
- How do you recognize your powerlessness?
- What do you have power to affect or change?
- Are you keeping the focus on yourself first?
- Are you practicing detachment? With love?
- Are you recognizing where you have enabled the alcoholic in the past?
- How are you working to not enable now?
- Has AlAnon helped you to be less angry, sad, scared, frustrated, anxious, (add your own favorite emotion here)?
- What questions and issues are you struggling with now?
- With respect to the alcoholic?
- With respect to other family members such as children?
- With respect to yourself?
- With respect to the relationship you have with the alcoholic?
Upcoming topics include “recovery on the road” — how do you take recovery with you? And tradition 5, which for me captures the essence of AlAnon, says “Each Al-Anon Family Group has but one purpose: to help families of alcoholics. We do this by practicing the Twelve Steps of AA ourselves, by encouraging and understanding our alcoholic relatives, and by welcoming and giving comfort to families of alcoholics.” Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
Concrete Blonde – Joey
Nine Inch Nails – Down In It
Jimmy Eat World – Drugs or Me