Have you established a routine of prayer and meditation? Do you struggle with them? Are you not sure how to know God’s will? Yes! Today, we’re going to talk about Step 11, which says “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry it out.”
Spencer and Maria talk about Step 11, guided by these questions:
- What is your understanding of “prayer”? “meditation”?
- How are these different from before the program? Early in the program?
- Do you have a regular practice of prayer and meditation?
- What is it?
- How has it changed over time?
- How have you sought to improve your conscious contact with your Higher Power?
- How does praying only for knowledge of his will differ from how you prayed before the program?
- How do you know if you understand God’s will?
- Final thoughts — how is Step 11 working in your life?
Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
Shao Lin: Homesick
Sarah McLachlan: Angel
Lily Allen: Somewhere Only We Know
Spencer mentioned a page with many versions of the 3rd Step prayer at the web site Friends of Bill W.
Maria described her experience visiting a Buddhist nunnery in Hong Kong and the peace she found there. She brought back a CD of the monks’ chanting. It helps her to meditate. We present a 10 minute excerpt here.