Do you wish that things would just stay the same? Does change freak you out? Maybe you get depressed when live today isn’t the same as yesterday. If you identify with these feelings, stick around. Today, I’m going to talk about changes.
There is a big change for the Recovery Show: Kelli and Swetha have decided, for personal reasons, that they can no longer participate in the show. In this episode Spencer reflects on how this change affected him, and how he is using the program to work through it. Here is his rough outline for the show
- Awareness: What happened? How I felt? What I did?
- “Change is a process … becoming aware is the first stage of this process.” (How Al-Anon Works, p. 23)
- Fear of change and uncertainty. What about just giving up?
- “being willing to feel the feels, and if I can’t bring myself to do the next right thing, at least trying to refrain from doing the next wrong thing” (from a friend via Facebook)
- “Change, even wonderful, positive change, involves some grief for the old … life” (HAW p. 88)
- Working the steps: 1 … 2 & 3 … 4 & 5 … 6 & 7
- Gratitude — for what was — and that I can keep on moving forward.
- Serenity prayer!
- Reading from Bless the Imperfect.
- Sermon this morning: “What is the love story we tell that keeps us going?”
- Where are we going?
- I am committed to continuing the podcast.
- I will be drawing on the local recovery community for guests and maybe, ultimately, new co-hosts.
- It will be different. I fear not as good, and I hope to grow into something better (just as we would have continued to do.)
- Your contributions are valuable, perhaps more now than ever.
- Thank you to all who have contributed, and special thanks to those who sent prayers for me this week.
Our topic for next week is Step 10. Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
Music from the show
David Bowie – Changes
The Byrds – Change is Now
Brian sent a link to this Loudon Wainwright III song, White Winos.